Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Bed

Ok, there has been a slight delay in providing updates because a necessary cable for the camera was left in MO. But, it has been mailed, and it arrived today. So, we'll start posting pictures soon.
Courtney, Olivia, & Katelee arrived on island on the 31st of December. As a nice surprise, I (Mark) was able to get moved into our new house. I had several people help, so it only took about half a day to move boxes across the street. After moving all morning though, I managed to get Olivia's surprise gift -- the ultimate Toddler bed!






Little did I know, this would be the bed even Santa would pass on delivering! Yes, it does get cool points for the slide and the bright colors. However, the parts and instructions were developed by someone with a sick sense of humor.

First, the instructions had no words -- just pictures. Of course, these are highly paid artists drawing these illustrations, so they look exactly like the pieces on the floor before me.

Second, the tools included were 15 sizes of screws, 3 sizes of washers, and two allen wrenches the size of my pinkie finger (allen wrenches are the L-shaped tools just small enough to provide no leverage in turning the screws). Of course, I had those great illustrations to tell me which size screw went in each hole.

Third, as I started in on the project, I worked for about an hour before standing up with a sense of accomplishment -- Step 1 of 13 done! Ugh!

Fourth, and finally, just when I had managed to develop a successful strategy of using the allen wrenches, they decided a screwdriver and regular wrench would be a nice switch of tools.

All in all, 7 hours later, with blistered fingers and scratched knuckles, the bed was finished.




Fortunately, Olivia likes it. She must sleep in it until she is 22!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Lord, I laughed at this until I cried! How I wish that there was a little hidden camera on that one! LOL! Now you can relate how Santa felt when all he had was a butter knife for a screwdriver and a high heeled shoe for a hammer!LOL..on the good note the bed is AWESOME..can I come spend the night? lol..